WELCOME

.... to SCRIPTURES FOR EVERYDAY...This blog is really nothing more than a collection of scriptures that for one reason or another have spoken to my heart. The little explanation that follows each scripture is just that. "My" explanation and insight into what I feel the Lord is impressing upon me. I don't pretend to be any real scholar when it comes to the Bible and don't know if I am always necessarily completely accurate in my understandings. I am just a woman, a wife, a mother, and a grandmother, who loves the Lord with all of my heart, and without Whom I am really nothing at all. If anything I have written here helps or blesses you in any way at all, then I am happy to share. PLEASE feel free to leave your comments, insights, or feelings on here, and may we all grow closer to Him everyday....

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

JOHN 8:7

So, when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.

In this particular passage, Jesus has been brought a woman who has been caught in the very act of adultery by the scribes and Pharisees who were the religious leaders at that time, who were both legalistic and self righteous. In those days this was a crime punishable by being stoned to death. They wanted to test Jesus and see how he would handle this. They were trying to find something He could be accused of doing wrong. Jesus answered them with this verse. They all ended up just walking away.

I think probably at one time or another we have all been guilty of judging the sin in someone else's life, forgetting all that we have done ourselves. I know I have for sure. It's easy to think...well, yes I may be guilty of telling a white lie or two, or losing my temper when provoked, or even of spreading a little gossip or having an unkind thought. But at least I am not guilty of the BIG THINGS....like, murder, or adultery, or stealing. But does that mean that I am then "without sin" and therefore in the position of judging another? I am very sure I am not. There have been many BIG things in my past that Jesus has forgiven me for, and I am very grateful. It has been made very clear to us in scripture I think that we are NOT to judge our brothers. We need to concern ourselves with the sin in our own lives and let the Holy Spirit convict and deal with everyone else. It is very definitely His job. But that is not to say of course that we are not to speak out against what we KNOW to be sin, such as abortion for example. Or that we aren't to call a spade a spade so to speak. But we are to judge "the sin", not the "the sinner"....

Jesus came into this world to forgive us of our sins and provide us a way to live for all eternity with Him. We are all guilty. There is not one who is not. He loves all of us unconditionally and without reservation and we are to do the same. How grateful I am....Does anyone reading this have another thought on this subject? Does anyone besides me find it difficult not to judge say for instance the drunk driver who killed someone? Again, this is not to say we don't judge his sin, or that it should go unpunished...but that we are not to judge him?? It is entirely possible that maybe I am not thinking of this in the right way....after all this particular passage is dealing with the Pharisees who were hyprocites by thinking of themselves more highly than they should have, and their hearts were hard and lacking love for others. Or maybe that was exactly the point Jesus was trying to make. Just so that we make sure our hearts are soft and full of love and compassion for others as His is. I really would love to hear another thought or two on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment